Reviewed and updated – June 2021
In accordance with the Protection of Personal Information Act, 2013 (POPIA) , which is South Africa’s data privacy law, which governs when and how organisations collect, use, store, delete and otherwise handle personal information.
At Vaxowave, we are committed to handling your personal information in the right way, for the right reasons.
- Vaxowave promises to treat all your personal information carefully and responsibly.
- Personal information includes any information that lets Vaxowave identify you, such as your name/s and surname combined with your physical address, contact details and/or passport/identity number.
- Personal information (in South Africa) also refers to the personal information that uniquely identifies a legal entity, such as the trading name of a company combined with the company registration number.
- Special personal information includes that which details your race or ethnic origin, religious and philosophical beliefs, political persuasion, trade union membership, health or sex life, biometric information (for example, your voice or fingerprints) or any criminal behaviour which relates to alleged criminal offences or proceedings.
- Personal information may be given to or collected by Vaxowave in writing as part of a written form, electronically (email), telephonically or via the Vaxowave website (Vaxowave.com)
- Processing of personal information includes any initial processing that Vaxowave does when we first collect your personal information. It also includes any further and ongoing processing that Vaxowave is allowed to carry out legitimately in terms of the reasons listed in paragraph 8 (below). The term ‘processing’ includes collecting, using, altering, merging, linking, organising, disseminating, storing, retrieving, disclosing, erasing, archiving, destroying or disposing of personal information.
- Vaxowave will only collect and process your personal information for the reason you provided it to us, or to enable us to comply with the requirements of specific local or foreign laws that we are governed by; or to comply with any regulations, directives, judgments or court orders, government sanctions or embargoes, reporting requirements under financial transactions legislation, and demands of any authority, regulator, tribunal, enforcement agency or exchange body.
- Vaxowave may process your personal information to protect your or our legitimate interests.
- Vaxowave will not collect and process personal information about you that we do not need.
- Furthermore, Vaxowave will not process your special personal information unless:
- You have consented to Vaxowave processing it (in circumstances where we are legally obliged to obtain your consent); or
- It is necessary to exercise or defend a right or obligation in law; or
- It is necessary to comply with an international legal obligation of public interest; or
- It is for certain historical, research or statistical purposes that would not adversely affect your privacy; or
- You have deliberately made your personal information public.
- There are some personal information fields that you have to fill in or provide if you want Vaxowave to onboard you as an employee, supplier or job applicant. This information can be provided in writing, electronically or telephonically, but it must be accurate and complete. These fields are indicated as such on the respective forms/website. If Vaxowave does not receive the necessary personal information, we will not be able to continue with the relationship. If you are already a client/employee/supplier and Vaxowave asks you for this information and you do not provide it, Vaxowave will have to suspend the relationship for a period, or as the case may be, even terminate our relationship with you.
- In most cases, personal information will be collected directly from you, but there may be other instances when Vaxowave will collect personal information from other sources. These may include public records, places where you may already have made your personal information public (for example, on social media where your settings on such social media are set to ‘public’), credit bureaus, or individuals/directors whom you have appointed as your representative, where you are a corporate entity. Vaxowave will only collect your personal information from other sources where we are legally entitled or obliged to do so, and you are entitled to ask Vaxowave which sources Vaxowave used to collect your personal information.
- Vaxowave will, in most instances, collect and process your personal information internally. However, there are times when Vaxowave needs to outsource these functions to third parties, including parties in other countries. Where your personal information is shared internally within the Vaxowave Group, such sharing will be carried out only for the purposes outlined. Vaxowave may also need to share your personal information with external organisations, such as credit bureaus, tax authorities or other regulatory or industry bodies, so that we can meet our due diligence or regulatory requirements. We may need to share your personal information with our business partners or counter-parties, where we are involved in corporate transactions relating to the sale or transfer of any of our businesses, legal entities or assets, or to any party to whom we assign our rights under any of our agreements for particular products and services.
- Vaxowave will not share your personal information with third parties who do not need your personal information, or where Vaxowave is not legally permitted to do so.
- When Vaxowave decides to transfer your personal information to third parties, we will only provide it to organisations that have data privacy policies equivalent to Vaxowave’s, or subject to appropriate contractual obligations, or to those who are subject to laws relating to the processing of personal information that are similar to those that apply to Vaxowave.
- As an Vaxowave client, we may use your personal information to tell you about products or services we think you might be interested in.
- To the extent that local legislation permits or if you are a resident of the European Union or United Kingdom, you have the following rights regarding your personal information:
- The right to access your personal information that we have on record.
- You have the right to ask Vaxowave to correct any of your personal information that is incorrect.
- You can ask Vaxowave to delete or destroy your personal information. You can also object to Vaxowave processing your personal information. These requests must be sent to Vaxowave in writing. However, the result of such a request will be that Vaxowave may have to suspend the provision of products and/or services for a period of time, or even terminate our relationship with you.
- Vaxowave’s records are subject to regulatory retention periods, which means that Vaxowave may not be able to delete or destroy your personal information immediately upon request.
- You may also ask Vaxowave to port your personal information to another party in terms of applicable laws. These requests must be sent to us in writing.
- If you have a complaint relating to the protection of your personal information, including the way in which it has been collected or processed by Vaxowave, please contact us using the local contact details as listed below. If you have not had your complaint dealt with satisfactorily, you may lodge a complaint with your local privacy regulator in terms of applicable privacy laws.
- Vaxowave reserves the right to change this statement at any time. All changes to this statement will be posted on the website. Unless otherwise stated, the current version shall supersede and replace all previous versions of this statement.
- Contact details firstname.lastname@example.org